Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Yerevan

(Insert Expletive here), I can't believe I haven't written anything since March 1st. Time flows differently here, and sometimes I feel that something that happened 3 months ago was yesterday, but other times it seems that time is slower than molasses in January.

Since this past Friday, I have been in Yerevan. Over the weekend, I spent some time with other PCVs, celebrating all the birthdays in March. It was a good time, and it's always nice to catch up with other volunteers who I've gotten to know since arriving in the country. This week I have been visiting different international organizations to find out how my organization and/or I can work with them. I feel it's been a very productive week in all, having met with two different organizations that work in Agriculture, as well as different opportunities available from the Peace Corps itself.

On a sad note, I've learned of a fellow volunteer that is being medically separated from the Peace Corps. He had to have an emergency operation here in Yerevan, and will not be able to continue to serve because of his condition. Richard, I wish you all the best in the future, and may the hair on your toes grow ever longer.

The one thing that stands out the most about this trip to Yerevan is the exhaustion. This may partially be my fault because I don't yet know the Marshutney system which could take me around the center of the city for only 100 dram. But also, I was speaking with a fellow volunteer who was saying that most likely this city is so tiring for us because when we are at our sites we have pretty much seen everything by now, and there isnt' much to look at, but Yerevan is a very busy city, with lots going on, and plenty to keep you busy. Whatever the reason is, I look forward to a good long sleep when I get back to Berd.

Even though Yerevan can be tiring, I must say I do enjoy being here. Not only to get away from site for a while and take a break, but also to catch up with friends here which I have made in Yerevan. And of course it is always nice to take a nice hot shower in which you dont' have to wash with one hand and pour with the other. And yes, for those who don't believe me, I do take a one-handed shower about every other day in Berd. We do have a bathouse there, but it can be hard to find time to go.

The Business Center that I work with has been quite busy lately, writing business plans and holding trainings in Accounting and Marketing among other things. However, we are always looking for ways to improve, and I hope that this trip to Yerevan will help to coordinate some new activities there. Also, my good friend and language tutor Svetlana has been trying to start a language center in Berd for the last two years, and is finally having a trial run consisting of a few courses which could lead to more classes in the future. She is working with another PCV, Warren, who is a TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language) volunteer who is also based in Berd. I wish them the best of luck, and hope that this turns out to be a valuable and sustainable activity.

I want to apologize to my readers who may have been looking forward to another picture taken here in Armenia, but unfortunately I am in Yerevan now without access to my pictures, and simply wanted to make another post to keep you all updated. I wish all my friends back home good health, luck, and happiness. (Which just so happens to be a pretty good toast in Armenian ;-) )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home