Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My Berd host family


This picture is of my host family in Berd, taken in July of last year. That was for my visit to Berd in which I got acquainted with who I would be working with, and living with. The woman at the back is Lusineh, my host sister. She is married and lives in Berd with her husband and son. The girl to her left is my host father's granddaughter, or my "host neice" if you will, her name is Anna. She is 15? I believe and studying English in Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. She comes up to Berd in the summers and winters to visit her grandparents. The little boy in the front is Lusineh's son, who is 4 years old. His name is Vahey. The man in the front is Garikine, my host father. He is 71 I believe, and makes very good vodka and wine. Believe me, I know. And of course, that's me on the right. As you may notice, I'm wearing the same shirt that I was wearing in the first picture. This is not a coincidence. Anyone who wants to send me some more short sleeve dress shirts, feel free ;-) . I didn't bring many clothes with me, and honestly this is a good thing, since people here don't have a lot of clothes either and wearing the same thing everyday is normal.
As for where I'm from and what I do here, I don't want to give too much information away on this site since this is a public forum, but suffice it so say I come from upstate NY, near Syracuse, and here I work at an NGO and it's related business center helping them with IT projects, like teaching them new programs so they can offer new courses, as well as helping them acquire an internet connection in order to open an internet center. I also help them with written English, making it readable for English speakers. Finally, I help other volunteers with different projects in the community, English clubs and other software trainings. Needless to say I keep pretty busy. Peace ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home